Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki – New ZealandMay 10, 2018
White Pine Camp – Adirondack Great CampJune 11, 2018
Packing for your Great Bike Tour does not require arms full of luggage. Follow these tips for a lighter load.
Packing for riding days
- The “right” shoes — good for walking as well as riding, i.e. some flex in the sole. Waterproof shoe covers are a bonus if you have
- Cycling gloves – great for chilly mornings and for comfort
- 1-3 pair of Cycling shorts – Why? The most important features of bike shorts include a lack of seams in the crotch and extra padding to reduce chaffing and discomfort while riding. Bike shorts are also made from flexible fabrics that move with you and don’t bind while pedaling
- 2-3 pair of Socks — wool or synthetic. – Other than wicking sweat and drying quickly, there’s nothing special about them. Any high quality athletic sock marketed for another sport will be comparable.
- Rain Pants/Leg Warmers/Tights/ Raincoat for riding
- 2 Short-sleeved shirts and 1 light, long-sleeved shirt for layering and sun protection
A complimentary GBT water bottle will be provided
Packing for non-riding days
- Comfortable shorts/pants (zip-off legs or rain pants are a good way to substitute)
- Comfortable Sandals, flip-flops, or lightweight shoes for strolling, shopping, exploring
- A hat for the weather. Wide Brim, Wool or Fleece hat
- Warm outer layer. Can include a wool sweater or fleece jacket
- Gloves for winter locations— wool or fleece
- Swimsuit for summer locations(optional)
Optional items to make your trip more enjoyable
- Towel (lightweight to enhance quick drying,)
- Pocket knife or Leatherman (must be in checked luggage or they will take at airport…))
- Sunglasses –polarized are best
- Insect repellent
- Sunblock – don’t forget – even in the winter this is important!
- Camera, chargers for electronics, journal
If you have any additional questions about what to pack for your trip we are always available to assist!
Your bike will have a rear pack which attaches to the rear rack. Useful for carrying personal items such as wallet, swim suit & towel, snacks, etc. Your bike also comes with reflective triangle for safety, and shoulder strap for carrying the bag.
To learn more about our bikes visit https://greatbiketours.com/our-bikes/