There are many options available for bike touring, here are some things to consider when planning your outing or booking with a tour operator.
Decide How You’d Like to Tour
Credit Card Touring– travel very light staying at hotels and hostels along the way, eating out at restaurants.
Fully Loaded-also known as self supported carrying everything you’d need, food, camping gear including tent, sleeping bad and stove.
Supported Tour– a SAG (acronym for Support and Gear) vehicle follows your route carrying all your gear.
Bicycle touring is very similar to backpacking. Pack panniers just as you would a backpack. One exception, you’re going to now carry a couple of pounds of bicycle repair tools.
A good source for front or rear racks, panniers and packs:
Some bicycle tourist like to travel with everything but the kitchen sink. Trailers designed to haul large loads nearing 100lbs are commonly called BOBs (Beast of Burden).
A great online worldwide bicycle journal, forums, reviews and classified source is www.crazyguyonabike.com
Common Bicycle Tools To Carry
- Multi-Tool- Topeak Alien II
- Tire Pump- Topeak Road Morph
- Tire Gauge- Presta or Schrader Valve stem
- Two Spare Tubes
- Patch Kit
- Zip Ties
- Take-a-Look rear view mirror (helmet or sunglass mounted)
- Warm and cold weather gloves, rain mitts
- Bike shoes
- Socks acrylic for summer, smart wool for winter or cool conditions
- Bicycle shorts with built in chamois
- Patagonia silk weight long sleeve shirt
- LL Bean short sleeve bicycle shirt
- Wind stopper skull cap
- Power stretch long sleeve half zip pullover
- Screaming yellow vest
- EMS Raincoat and Golite Reed rain pants
- Women- wrap around skirt to cover bike shorts
- Crocs to wear in town after the day’s ride is done
Great Bike Tours is here to answer any of your questions when planning a group or private tour with us. We look forward to speaking with you. Please call 802-777-2009 or visit http://greatbike.wpengine.com/private-tips/for more information