NEW - South Carolina Bike & Boat
Hilton Head to Charleston
Our six-day Bike & Boat Tour explores the flat coastal plain & waterways between Hilton Head Island and Charleston, South Carolina. All week we stay at deluxe Inns overlooking the water: two nights in Hilton Head, one night in historic Beaufort, and two nights in Charleston.
Warmed by Southern breezes and shaded by live oak trees and stately palms, we spend a relaxing week cycling past old plantations and through antebellum towns. Our new bike tour along the South Carolina coast has sought out the very best bike paths and the roads “less traveled by.”
Hilton Head Island alone boasts more than 110 miles of paved bike paths, earning it the coveted Gold Level award (for a Bicycle Friendly Community) from the League of American Bicyclists. Even their beaches are great for biking. Cycling on the hard-packed sand is a Hilton Head tradition, so we’ll equip you with a separate beach cruiser and head downwind on the 12-mile beach. This activity is great fun, offers easy riding, and has a spectacular view. Priceless!
Ask the locals what makes this area special, and you’re likely to hear them say “the water.” Rather than thinking of the water as a barrier (to our cycling), we relish the opportunity to venture out on the waterways that are a treasured part of everyday life here. The interlocking system of calm inland waterways – including the Intracoastal Waterway – are the most efficient means of getting around. Every day we’ll explore some hidden aspect of this fascinating ecosystem – by kayak, nature cruise, water taxi, or zodiac raft – to experience the sheer beauty and serenity of the area’s salt marshes, lazy tidal creeks, flourishing estuaries, and isolated islands.
- Visit famous Hilton Head Island – we are the first major bike tour company to include Hilton Head on a South Carolina itinerary
- Daily cycle rides on quiet roads and 160 miles of paved bike paths, cycling beneath magnificent live oaks trees cloaked in Spanish Moss
- Enjoy a different mode of water transport every day – water taxi, zodiac raft, pontoon boat, double-decked party boat, and kayak. These boats allow us to take short cuts over the water, to our next cycling destination
- Cycle on the beach at Hilton Head (we supply a separate beach cruiser)
- Nature cruise aboard a 65-foot boat, exploring the calm estuary waters and salt marshes that serve as critical spawning grounds for fish, shellfish, and birds
- Horse-drawn carriage ride past the stunning antebellum homes of historic Beaufort, learning about the city’s history, from Revolutionary times to modern-day movie making (The Big Chill, The Prince of Tides, Forrest Gump)
- Zodiac raft trip to observe a unique feeding habit of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins, first discovered by famed marine biologist Jacques Cousteau
- Optional water sports ($$) such as parasailing, jet skiing, sailing, stand-up paddleboarding, and powered catamaran boating
- Walking tour of historic Charleston, rated the #1 activity in town
- Educational two-hour kayak excursion led by certified Master Naturalists. Kayak down winding tidal creeks – home to dolphins, alligators, and southern bald eagles. Jacques Cousteau called this area “one of the most unique ecosystems in America”
- Special guided tour of Boone Hall Plantation, America’s most photographed plantation and the #1 plantation in the Charleston area. View the original slave cabins, visit the antebellum-style mansion, and tour the 738-acre property
- Exclusive Southern Style Farm-to-Table Luncheon, including a Private Storytelling Performance about the rich history and traditions of the local Gullah-Geechee culture – which involves a unique blend of West African, Caribbean, French, English, and American culture, food, religion, and traditions
- Dinner at a famous Charleston restaurant. If you wish to put a little south in your mouth, try the local favorites such as shrimp & grits or She-Crab soup
- Explore Charleston’s City Market where more than 50 artisans weave a variety of Gullah baskets, one of the oldest handcrafts of African origin found in the U.S.
- 6 days of cycling, boat trips, and other activities
- 5 nights of lodging (Hilton Head, Beaufort, and Charleston)
- 10 meals (5 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners)
- 2 separate bikes (one for the paved roads and trails, another for the hard-packed beach)
- Full van support (2 vehicles) throughout your stay
- The services of 3 professional bike tour guides
- 5 different forms of water transport (nature cruise, zodiac raft trip; kayak excursion, water taxi, pontoon boat)
- Exclusive GBT activities, including: horse-drawn carriage rides in Beaufort; Storytelling Performance about the Gullah-Geechee Culture; walking tour of historic Charleston; and guided tour of Boone Hall Plantation
- Daily route notes & maps, Great Bike Tours T-shirt & water bottle
- Easy flat cycling; daily mileage of 15-35 miles
- Perfect weather for cycling - the average max temp in late April is 76 degrees
Combine Two GBT Tours
Start off with our Georgia bike tour on April 15-20, spend a weekend in Savannah, then join our South Carolina Bike & Boat trip on April 22. Perfection!