New Zealand Bike Tours
Please join us in February & March for the Mother-of-all bike vacations
After spending almost two decades on the South Island of New Zealand we have come up with the best New Zealand bike tour. Our cycle tours are 13 days long and offer a rich assortment of scenery, wildlife, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. The Washington Post recently published a full-page article about our New Zealand Bike Tour, stating that they “would not have a traded a minute of the experience.” The author (Victoria McKernan) wrote that “New Zealand offers pretty much every landscape imaginable in this world — or any other." She went on to describe our bike tour as traveling "through rain forest and farmland, past sheer cliffs striped with waterfalls, along rushing green glacier-fed rivers and around neon-blue alpine lakes." (read more testimonials)
It's time to cross New Zealand off your "bucket list." Please come and join us in February & March for the mother-of-all bike vacations.
- Spectacular scenery at every turn, including glaciers, old-growth rainforests, snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, and wild ocean beaches. It's almost as if the country is one big movie set (think Lord of the Rings or the Middle Earth scenery of Jurassic Park)
- Unique wildlife including penguins, albatross, kiwi, merino sheep, seal lions, fur seals, and giant eels
- Memorable bike rides through a World Heritage Area
- Naturalist-led hikes on glaciers, through rainforests, and on pristine beaches
- Activities on the water such as kayaking, a guided boat tour of the wildlife refuge, and jetboating
- Wine tasting in the most southern wine region of the world
- Fly to Milford Sound for a boat cruise on the fiord (part of the World Heritage Area)
- Savor a scenic train ride through the Taieri River Gorge
- Unwind with three days of car-free cycling on the Otago Rail Trail
- Learn about merino wool at a high-country sheep farm
- Explore Dunedin, Christchurch, Wanaka, and the “Adventure Capital of the World" – Queenstown
- 13 days of cycling and/or activities
- 12 nights of paid accommodations
- 25 meals
- Two separate bikes (one for the rail trail and one for the paved roads)
- 3-4 first-class tour guides
- Full van support, including pickup & dropoff at airport
- Daily route notes & maps
- Souvenir water bottle and T-shirt
- Scenic train journey
- Boat tour of Bird Sanctuary
- Photo CD of all the above
- airfare not included
- Difficulty level: easy to moderate
Enjoy Friendly Accommodations
We take you up-close-and-personal with the real New Zealand by staying with folks we've known for almost two decades. We spend three nights with Anne & Gerry at both of their wilderness lodges (one is located in the towering rainforest, the other at a merino sheep farm); and two nights with our great friends Paula & Swade in the oceanside hamlet of Okarito, where we also join them for an eco boat tour in their tidal lagoon.
What's the Weather Like?
December to February: This is summer in NZ, so expect long sunny days (staying light until about 9 pm) and mild nights. Average daily high of 72F (Queenstown).