Book a Multi-sport Complete New Zealand Holiday
“A New Zealand holiday isn’t complete without visiting a sheep farm. The Wilderness Lodge property encompasses 1650 hectares (4000 acres) of scenic high country & is home to 3000 sheep. Every second afternoon guests are invited to explore the farm on a complimentary guided trip. Watch sheep-dogs in action, hand feed lambs, see sheep shearing and learn how the world’s finest merino wool is grown.” https://www.wildernesslodge.co.nz/assets/Uploads/Wilderness-Lodge-Arthurs-Pass-Guided-Nature-Adventures.pdf
On your Great Bike New Zealand Bike Tour you will experience daily life here hands on! We take you up-close-and-personal with the real New Zealand by staying with folks we’ve known for almost two decades. We spend three nights with Anne & Gerry at both of their wilderness lodges (one is located in the towering rainforest, the other at a merino sheep farm).
“During your Wilderness Lodge Arthur’s Pass Discovery Day you will have the opportunity to explore the heart of the Southern Alps with a day of adventure on the summit of Arthur’s Pass. Explore gardens of alpine flowers and search for mountain parrots.
Return to the Lodge mid-afternoon to discover the Wilderness Lodge farm. See sheep dogs muster merino sheep, hand feed tame lambs and watch shearing. After dinner join a guide to see the Southern Cross, Milky Way and southern stars.” https://www.wildernesslodge.co.nz/new-zealand/the-lodges/two-lodge-itinerary/
December to February: This is summer in NZ, so expect long sunny days (staying light until about 9 pm) and mild nights.
Tour dates sell out way in advance for the Great Bike New Zealand Bike Tour – Trips are offered 2-3 times per year in February and March based on demand and private group trips are also available. We welcome all ages and abilities. Since we offer such a multitude of alternate activities on our active vacations, we strongly encourage non-cyclists to join us as well.
- Spectacular scenery at every turn, including glaciers, old-growth rainforests, snow-capped mountains, waterfalls, and wild ocean beaches. It’s almost as if the country is one big movie set (think Lord of the Rings or the Middle Earth scenery of Jurassic Park)
- Unique wildlife including penguins, albatross, kiwi, merino sheep, seal lions, fur seals, and giant eels
- Memorable bike rides through a World Heritage Area
- Naturalist-led hikes on glaciers, through rainforests, and on pristine beaches
- Activities on the water such as kayaking, a guided boat tour of the wildlife refuge, and jetboating
- Wine tasting in the most southern wine region of the world
- Fly to Milford Sound for a boat cruise on the fiord (part of the World Heritage Area)
- Savor a scenic train ride through the Taieri River Gorge
- Unwind with three days of car-free cycling on the Otago Rail Trail
- Learn about merino wool at a high-country sheep farm
- Explore Dunedin, Christchurch, Wanaka, and the “Adventure Capital of the World” – Queenstown
For more information and availability/dates on the Great Bike New Zealand Bike Tour visit https://greatbiketours.com/new-zealand-bike-tours-2/
Read article written by recent traveler
The Washington Post recently published a full-page article about our New Zealand Bike Tour, stating that they “would not have a traded a minute of the experience.” The author (Victoria McKernan) wrote that “New Zealand offers pretty much every landscape imaginable in this world — or any other.” She went on to describe our bike tour as traveling “through rain forest and farmland, past sheer cliffs striped with waterfalls, along rushing green glacier-fed rivers and around neon-blue alpine lakes.”
It’s time to cross New Zealand off your “bucket list.” Please come and join us in February & March for the mother-of-all bike vacations.