The Adirondack Mountains are a vast and remote region in upstate New York, home to some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. They are also a great place to go cycling, with a variety of roads to suit all levels of experience.
Two of the most popular road cycling destinations in the Adirondacks are Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, which hosted the 1980 Winter Olympics.
No matter what your skill level, there are plenty of excellent rides that you will enjoy in the Adirondack Mountains. So get out there and explore this beautiful region on two wheels!
Here are some tips for cycling in the Adirondacks:
- Be prepared for all types of weather. The weather in the Adirondacks can change quickly, so it is important to be prepared for anything. Bring a raincoat, sunscreen, and a hat, even if it is sunny when you start your ride.
- Wear the proper clothing. When cycling in the Adirondacks, it is important to wear clothing that is comfortable and will protect you from the elements. Wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and a hat. You may also want to wear gloves and sunglasses.
- Bring plenty of water. It is important to stay hydrated when cycling, especially in hot weather. Bring a water bottle or hydration pack with you on your ride.
- Be aware of your surroundings. When cycling in the Adirondacks, it is important to be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for cars, pedestrians, and other cyclists.
- Obey the rules of the road. When cycling on public roads, it is important to obey the rules of the road. This includes riding on the right side of the road, signaling before turning, and stopping at stop signs.
- Have fun! Cycling in the Adirondacks is a great way to see the beautiful scenery and get some exercise. So get out there and explore!
Plan a biking vacation in New York with Great Bike Tours
The Adirondacks is the ideal place for your next cycling vacation in New York. Heading out of the Town of Wilmington in any direction will yield a fantastic road cycling experience with many options and varying degrees of difficulty to choose from.
Looking for more than just cycling?
Bike, Hike, and Paddle in Saranac Lake and Lake Placid
Less than a half-day’s-drive from Boston, New York, or Montreal lies a vast unspoiled wilderness where nature remains pristine and untouched. Come and join us in August as we escape to the Adirondack Park, an expansive playground for cyclists, hikers, and kayakers alike.
Whether by bike, on foot, or with paddle, you’ll enjoy an unforgettable week exploring the six-million-acre Adirondack Park – greater in size than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier, and the Grand Canyon national parks combined. Luckily for us, nearly half of this Park is now a Forest Preserve, constitutionally protected to remain “Forever Wild.”
Note: Our group trips have been selling out well in advance. Please book early or call to get on a waiting list. If we have enough interest additional dates can be added to our schedule for some destinations.
Learn more about the benefits to vacationing with Great Bike Tours at https://greatbiketours.com/benefits-to-vacationing-with-great-bike-tours/
Check out our full list of destinations at https://greatbiketours.com/#main-slideshow